The Visual Thesaurus is an interactive dictionary and thesaurus
that allows you to discover the connections between words in a visually captivating display.
Want to know more about how it works?
Click on an image below for a video demonstration of a few of the Visual Thesaurus's many features.
Why should I subscribe to the Visual Thesaurus?
It works like your brain.
Unlike a paper-bound book, the VT is fluid and dynamic, like the way you think. Word maps blossom with meaning, helping you find just the right word. You'll write more descriptively and precisely, discover new ideas, and expand your vocabulary.
Join a community of word lovers.
A subscription to the Visual Thesaurus is your ticket to an online community of thousands of creative people who are passionate about words and language.
Learn about language and the creative process from our online magazine.
Members of the VT community can enjoy our online magazine, updated daily with fresh content. Informative features explore everything from how writers find inspiration to how words and phrases become part of our lexicon. Hear from experts in fields ranging from teaching to copywriting, and learn how to make language work for you.
Keep track of words that inspire you with word lists.
Build your own customized word lists on any theme of your choosing. You can explore other people's lists, leave comments, and rate them.
Who uses the Visual Thesaurus?
Copywriters use it as an idea generator. Writers use it to get unblocked. Students use it to improve how they read, write and think (not to mention prepping for the SAT). Marketers use it to come up with names. Teachers use it to energize their classrooms. Professionals use it to spiff up their PowerPoints. You can use it for all these reasons, or just to have fun in exploring the interconnections of language.
Here's what some of our users are saying...
"I really want to thank all of you at the Visual Thesaurus for offering so many resources and experiences from people everywhere who love language and communicating! Keep up the good work!"
"I really can't say enough -- I will, though after I explore some more -- in the meantime this program is FABULOUS (I need a better word, but it's going to be fun finding it). Thanks."
"I am so thankful that I purchased this for a full year. I am so thrilled, I can not stop play with words and getting back a whole tree of other words. Thank you!"
"Kudos to the developers of this wonderful tool. To watch in fascination as the words shift and the patterns flow and re-form with every click of the mouse is a mesmerizing experience, both educational and absolutely beautiful."
Read more praise for the Visual Thesaurus here.
Can I try the Visual Thesaurus risk-free?
We think you'll love the Visual Thesaurus, but if you don't, we make it really easy to cancel your subscription.
If you are still within the 14-day trial period, we'll give you the option to receive a full refund -- no questions asked.
Click here to sign up.
Do you offer subscriptions to institutions?
We offer a number of programs that make it easy for institutions to purchase the Visual Thesaurus and provide access to their population at a discounted rate. We also offer special discounts to accredited academic institutions.
Learn more here.
- Find the right word. The VT has over 145,000 English words and 115,000 meanings. Find the word you need and discover related meanings.
- Develop a better vocabulary. See how words are used in different parts of speech.
- Use words precisely. The intuitive interface helps you find words through their semantic relationship with other words and meanings.
- Master word usage. Roll over a meaning to see its definition and example sentences that express that meaning.
- Improve your grammar. Meanings are color-coded to indicate parts of speech.
- Explore five additional languages. Search for words in Spanish, German, Italian French and Dutch, as well as English. (International features are still in beta)
- Unlimited access to our magazine. Read features about language and the creative process and join a community passionate about words, language and creativity.
- Explore 39,000 proper nouns. Historical figures, phrases and trademarks are included. Look up Mozart, Manda or simply, "M."
- Check your spelling. The VT suggests a word if you spell it wrong.
- Hear words pronounced correctly. The VT offers both American and British pronunciations (Internet connection necessary)
- Personalize your experience. Use the Settings Panel to control font size, filter content, display up to 17 semantic relationships and more.
- Browse language in 2D or 3D. Rotate word maps in three dimensions to reveal complex relationships.
- Connect to the Internet. Right-click on any word to launch an Internet search for images or information.
- Access the VT from anywhere. No software to install, access from virtually any computer with an Internet connection.
- Email word maps to friends. Share your favorite words with friends and family.
- Make word lists. Construct lists of your favorite words, or organize them by theme.
- Play our spelling quiz. Take a spelling challenge that is both vocabulary-expanding and downright addictive.
Click here to learn more about how the Visual Thesaurus works!