I was delighted to learn recently of The Sifter - A Food History Research Tool, which is a gigantic online database of historical cookbooks. What I've been doing in The Sifter initially is a kind of time travel via language.
Not a Subscriber Yet?
Try it RISK FREE! When you subscribe you get:
Full access to the Visual Thesaurus, including:
- Easy-to-use interactive thesaurus and dictionary to explore words and language
- Over 145,000 English words and 115,000 meanings to find the right word and discover related meanings
- 39,000 proper nouns, including historical figures, phrases and trademarks
- Intuitive word maps - free associate, brainstorm and use words precisely
- Definitions and example sentences to master word usage
- Meanings color-coded to indicate parts of speech and improve your grammar
- Five additional languages: Spanish, German, Italian, French and Dutch (beta)
- Two and three-dimensional views - rotate word maps to reveal complex relationships
- Audio pronunciation in American and British accents
- Printing and emailing word maps
And exclusive access to our online magazine dedicated to language and the creative process:
- Access to great articles like this one.
- Features and interviews with writers, ad and marketing creatives, lexicographers, teachers and more.
- Join a community passionate about words, language and creativity.
14 day risk-free trial!
We think you'll love the Visual Thesaurus, but if you don't, we make it really easy to cancel your subscription.
Just click on "My Account", log in with your username and password, and click "Cancel My Subscription".
If you are still within the 14 day trial period, we'll give you the option to receive a full refund -- no questions asked.